Skip to main content

I am freed..

This is a second day in freed.in and I can say it was worth being here so far. Most of the people were seen faces at foss.in but its always good to meet old friends again and again. Additionally the lower density of people here is a good thing in a way that you get to interact more with the people you want. Something not possible when there is a lot of crowd around.

First day was all spent attending the talks. I spend good time with KK, talking passionately about free software and philosophy. I see the influence of Nagarjuna in him. But he has his won way of saying things. He is a lot aggressive while Nagajuna is a lot humble. Something he admits himself. Anyway there were conclaves going on parallel but so far i.e. the last session of day two, I have not been there.

Today was much special. Gora made sure that I get introduced with Andreas Vox, the scribus developer. It was really nice talk to him about various tech savvy issues related to page layout, text layout and lot more. I did not have any talk registered here, but had to talk on Indic text layout as a part of Andreas' talk. Earlier Dr. Nagarjuna had asked me to get Indic things going into Scribus. I think his wish will come true.

Later I was pleased to meet an IIT student, extremely interested in Indic computing and gnu/linux and everything. He had many questions for me which I loved to talk on. This is a good sign that students are encouraged to get into the foss world through such events.

Lets see whats there tomorrow..

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Kreate logo is done!

It's been several months now that we have been brainstorming about the logo and caption. We all were thinking on lines of both creativity and value offerings. Gautam was continuously thinking on lines of how to communicate imagination and implementation parts simultaneously, the left and right of the brain. Many tag-lines popped up, but always there was something missing. Finally, me and joy took up these two words from Gautam and simply put a dot between them. It sounded so crisp! 'Imagination.Implementation'! Meanwhile, many of us were trying to come up with the design ideas. For me, playing with various shapes of 'K' and using whatever minuscule knowledge of calligraphy/typography I had, became my regular pass-time to keep myself awake in gaseous classrooms. In later stages, I got stuck on the idea of creating a character out of K that can personify the values we worked on so long. Finally emerged the k-man that is so carefree, cheerful, and aesthetic. Joy took t...

What is so wrong with Bhagwad Geeta?

Here's a discussion I had with someone over Bhagwad Geeta on TOI forum (Stop reading now if you don't want to go to the end, it may mislead): mukunda (Bengaluru) replies to Siddharth 21 Jul, 2011 02:50 PM Ok,lets read ch 4 verse 13. catur-varnyam maya srstam guna-karma-vibhagasah tasya kartaram api mam viddhy akartaram avyayam "According to the three modes of material nature and the work associated with them, the four divisions of human society are created by Me. And although I am the creator of this system, you should know that I am yet the nondoer, being unchangeable." 1st line"catur-varnyam maya srstam" 4 varnas are created by Me(Paramatma),2nd line "guna-karma-vibhagasah" where the vabhajan\categorization is based on one's guna composition and karma composition. 3rd and 4th line states how He is the non doer and unchangable. Sri Krishna says that each living entity is categorized into one of the 4 varnas based ONLY on their pre...

Would you look through a window or go out and play in open?

Freedom of knowledge has always been worshiped across philosophies and religions all over the world. It has been applicable to the most fields of science and technology. This freedom has helped the growth of science, technology, and benefited the human world in every aspect. When Jonas Salk invented polio vaccine, he said "There is no patent. Could you patent the sun?" He did not try to hide its formula. When you buy a car, nobody stops you from opening its bonnet, fix a few problems, do a few modifications. That, is the freedom of knowledge, applied throughout the branches of science. But when it comes to software, abruptly, everyone starts hiding the source code, the formula behind it. You would be even denied from making similar kind of products, by means of patents. Some of the readers might have already guessed where I am taking this topic to. [Those who know enough about foss, may skip the following paragraph.] When you buy a software, it is most likely that you would...